Press release -
Hurtigruten Norwegian Coastal Express launches 2023/24 season
A luxurious guest lounge in Bergen, menus with fresh and locally sourced ingredients, and sustainable excursions are part of what you will experience onboard the original coastal voyage.
Hurtigruten has operated the Norwegian Coastal Express since 1893, bringing travelers from all over the world close to everyday life in 34 small and large coastal communities between Bergen and Kirkenes.
For the 2023/24 season, now open for booking, our guests have a lot to look forward to:
- Norway’s Coastal Kitchen: A voyage with us is also about experiencing authentic local cuisine. Calling at 34 ports creates opportunities to have fresh ingredients delivered to the ships every day. Our chefs are collaborating with more than 50 local suppliers along the coast, giving our guests a true taste of Norway.
- Local knowledge: With our long experience operating the Coastal Express, we are offering local knowledge and local partners that are unmatched on the Norwegian Coast. All our ships have experienced on-board guides that hold lectures and organize activities.
- Excursions: For the new season, we offer more than 70 optional shore excursions between Bergen in the south to Kirkenes in the north, including emission free excursions with electrical catamarans and tour buses.
- Bergen Lounge: Our guests will start the journey in style at our luxurious lounge in Bergen. Here they will get a taste of Norway’s Coastal Kitchen, they can book excursions and relax in comfortable surroundings ahead of their big adventure.
- Northern Lights Promise: Winter is peak Northern Lights season in Norway, and sailing with us, at sea and far away from light pollution, provides some of the best possibilities to view this celestial lightshow. We are so confident the Northern Lights will make an appearance on your 12- or 11-day voyage that if they do not appear, we will give you another 6 or 7-day trip North or South free of charge. Your experience on the Coastal Express will be one with zero regrets!
“Hurtigruten’s Coastal Express is the original coastal voyage, and a unique way to experience the Norwegian coast. With almost 130 years of experience and history, the ship acts as a lifeline for small communities along the coast,” said Hurtigruten Norway CEO Hedda Felin.
Our guests can experience the “world’s most beautiful voyage” on board modern and comfortable ships that also continue the tradition of carrying cargo and local passengers, a vital part of everyday life along the coast.
Each year, we transport over 100,000 tons of goods – everything from food to medicine!
“We are very proud of operating a legacy journey with such strong traditions, but which through innovations make it sustainable, modern, and still relevant for both our international travelers, local passengers and the local businesses that rely on us for the transportation of goods,” Felin said.
Hurtigruten Norway operates the legendary Norwegian Coastal Express, known as “the most beautiful voyage in the world”. We have sailed this route for almost 130 years, which makes us the original coastal voyage.
Our ships transport tourists, local passengers, and cargo alike between 34 small and large ports from Bergen to Kirkenes. We bring guests close to everyday life along the Norwegian coast, offering the best of what the coast can provide from activities and excursions to authentic local cuisine with fresh ingredients delivered to the ship every day.
Hurtigruten Norway is part of Hurtigruten Group, which also operates Hurtigruten Expeditions, the world’s largest and leading expedition cruise line, and extensive land-based activities through Hurtigruten Svalbard.